Who is Eligible for Workers’ Compensation Benefits in Washington D.C.?

Washington D.C. has a no-fault workers’ compensation system that benefits employees in the event that they become injured or ill at work. However, it is important for an employee to know if they are able to receive these benefits. This is dependent upon the type of employee they are in addition to how they become injured. 

Who is Eligible?

Private employees with one or more employees are required to carry workers’ compensation insurance in Washington D.C. This provides employees who become ill or injured with compensation for medical bills, lost wages, and permanent impairments. This is available for all injuries and illnesses that occur during the course of employment. 

It is important to understand that the injuries that are covered are ones that happen while the employee is performing work duties or running work errands. If they are injured during their lunch break or commute to and from work, the employee is generally not covered under workers’ compensation law. In addition to this, compensation covers both injuries that occur from a one-time accident, injuries caused by repetitive movements, and illnesses developed from exposure to toxic substances. 

What Do I Do If I’m Injured at Work?

It is crucial that if you are injured at work, you report the injuries to your employer within 30 days. If you do not realize the injury until a later time, it must be reported within 30 days of realizing they are work-related. In addition to this, it is important to complete Form 7 – Employee’s Notice of Accidental Injury or Occupational Disease. A copy of this must also be given to your employer and the Office of Workers’ Compensation. The sooner notice is given, the sooner the benefits can begin. 

What if My Claim is Denied?

When a workers’ compensation claim is denied, it is important to know that employees have the right to appeal this decision. This can be done with the District of Columbia Administrative Hearings Division. The first step in doing so is requesting an informal conference. During this time, a recommendation is made within 30 days by the claims examiner. This is not a binding recommendation, as either party can contest it and request a formal hearing. 

To request a formal hearing, one must complete an Application for Formal Hearing. They must also attach a copy of the workers’ compensation claim form and sign the document. An in-person hearing can then be scheduled. During this time, each party can question witnesses, submit documents, and make legal arguments. A workers’ compensation judge will preside and mail a written decision to both parties.


If you have become the victim of an on the job injury, it may be beneficial to speak with an attorney and the doctor that is treating you to determine how to make the process as easy as possible. AllianceMeds understands that a workplace accident can be challenging and is here to help. We will deliver your medication to your door using overnight delivery and cover any out of pocket expenses that may arise. If you have any questions about how we can help, contact AllianceMeds today.