Each state holds its own laws regarding workers’ compensation insurance. Continue reading below to learn about the law in Tennessee.
Who is Required to Carry Insurance?
Certain employers in Tennessee are required to provide insurance benefits so employees can receive medical treatment, wage replacements, and fair competition. The following employers are required to have workers’ compensation insurance:
- All employers in construction businesses or trades
- Employers who have five or more employees
- Employers in coal mining industries
- Family members, part-time employees, and corporate officers if their employees meet the definition of “employee”
How Are Claims Filed?
Employees should report a work-related injury to their supervisor within 15 days so a claim can be reported. Employers are required to submit all known or reported situations to their insurance carriers within one working day of their knowledge of the injury. Injuries or illnesses are reportable in the event that they cause:
- An employee to receive medical treatment outside the employer’s premises
- Their death
- Their absence from work or the retention of permanent impairment
What Benefits Can I Receive?
The following benefits are available under Tennessee workers’ compensation law:
- Temporary disability benefits: This covers a portion of the employee’s lost wages while they recover from their injury or illness. The two types of temporary disability are temporary total or temporary partial disability.
- Permanent disability benefits: This can include permanent total or partial disability. Total is payable while the employee cannot perform work. Partial is paid if they are only partially disabled.
- Death benefits: This is payable if the incident results in the death of an employee.
If you have become the victim of an on the job injury, it may be beneficial to speak with an attorney and the doctor that is treating you to determine how to make the process as easy as possible. AllianceMeds understands that a workplace accident can be challenging and is here to help. We will deliver your medication to your door using overnight delivery and cover any out of pocket expenses that may arise. If you have any questions about how we can help, contact AllianceMeds today.