Recovering Workers’ Compensation Benefits in Ohio

Most people do not consider what would happen if they were to become injured while at work. However, it is a very real situation that can occur. When an employee becomes harmed in a workplace accident, it is important to know that they may be eligible to receive workers’ compensation benefits. This provides coverage for any damages that stem from the incident. The aftermath of these accidents can often be confusing for people as they are unsure of what they are eligible for and how to receive workers’ compensation benefits. When facing these situations, it is important to be aware of the process.

How Do I File for Workers’ Compensation?

After a workplace accident, it is important to report the incident to your employer or supervisor. Once this is done, you can complete the First Report of Injury report that can be found online. This document can either be faxed to the Ohio Bureau of Workers’ Compensation (BWC) or mailed/delivered through your local BWC claims office. Alternatively, you can call the BWC or a local claims office to speak with a representative and answer the appropriate questions.

What Benefits are Available to Me?

Most injured workers in Ohio return to work within a week of their injury. However, some are unable to do so and require temporary benefits. If you are out of work for eight or more calendar workdays, you may receive certain benefits. This can include but is not limited to the following:

  • Temporary total compensation
  • Permanent partial 
  • Wage loss
  • Living maintenance
  • Lump-sum advancement
  • Lump-sum settlement
  • Change of occupation
  • Facial disfigurement
  • Accrued compensation
  • Travel reimbursement
  • Death claim

How and When Will I Receive My Benefits?

The Bureau of Workers’ Compensation does not pay benefits for the first seven days of an injury. Instead, they pay when you have been unable to work for 14 or more consecutive days. Once this is reached, the BWC will compensate you for the total amount of workdays you have missed. 

All payments are electronically deposited by the BWC unless extenuating circumstances prevent it or you do not have a Social Security number. This may be done through an electronic funds transfer into a personal checking or savings account. Alternatively, it can be done through an electronic benefits transfer if you do not have a personal bank account and enroll in the Key Bank debit card program.


If you have become the victim of an on the job injury, it may be beneficial to speak with an attorney and the doctor that is treating you to determine how to make the process as easy as possible. AllianceMeds understands that a workplace accident can be challenging and is here to help. We will deliver your medication to your door using overnight delivery and cover any out of pocket expenses that may arise. If you have any questions about how we can help, contact AllianceMeds today.