Filing for Workers’ Compensation in California | What to Know

When you go to work every day, you expect to feel safe and protected. Unfortunately, this is not always the case, and accidents do occur. If you have been injured at work, you may be struggling physically, emotionally, and financially. It is likely that you deserve compensation to help ease these burdens. Read on to learn more about filing for workers’ compensation after an injury in California.

What Benefits are Offered in California?

In California, workers’ compensation benefits should cover the following: 

  • Medical care
    • Workers’ compensation should cover the cost of your medical care and any medication needed to recover. 
  • Temporary disability benefits
    • If you are unable to return to work for a period of time, you should be provided with temporary disability benefits in place of a paycheck. Your injury should not impact your ability to make a living. 
  • Permanent disability benefits
    •  If you never fully recover from your workplace injury, you may qualify for permanent disability benefits. 
  • Supplemental job displacement benefits
    • In California, if you were injured in 2004 or after, there is a very good chance that you may qualify for a voucher that will pay the cost of any retraining or skill enhancement you may need if you do not recover completely.
  • Death benefits
    •  In the worst cases, if someone loses their life on the job, spouses, children or other dependents of that individual may be entitled to certain benefits. 

What do I do if I Have Been Injured on the Job?

If you’ve been hurt on the job, it is important to take the following steps:

  • Notify your supervisor or employer
    • This is the first thing you should do if you are involved in an accident.
  • Seek medical attention
    • This will both document the injury and ensure that you are treated accordingly.
  • Report your accident to the state Division of Workers’ Compensation
    • You will need to fill out a claim form and turn it over to your employer. Your employer is legally obligated to provide you with this form at least one day after being notified of your injuries.

If you have been injured on the job, reach out to our experienced firm today.

Contact AllianceMeds

If you have become the victim of an on-the-job injury, it may be beneficial to speak with an attorney and the doctor that is treating you to determine how to make the process as easy as possible. AllianceMeds understands that a workplace accident can be challenging and is here to help. We will deliver your medication to your door using overnight delivery and cover any out-of-pocket expenses that may arise. If you have any questions about how we can help, contact AllianceMeds today.